Thursday, November 4, 2010

Taking interest in the simplest things...


I have to admit, I do not possess a curious mind for matters of Science, Math or any other “practical” knowledge.  I take a lot of interest in the emotional side of the human brain.  This explains my interest in the spiritual aspects of life and in Psychology, which is the career I am pursuing. Although I consider myself very intelligent and knowledgeable, recently I have concluded that it would make a significant difference in my life if I take even a small interest in the things that I usually don’t pay attention to. I have always considered myself to be a “why” person but not so much for the “technicalities.” My mind seems to focus and it’s curious only about certain things.  I don’t know why, because I don’t recall making a special effort to do this, to think, or to be this way.  My mind is just like that and I have no explanation for it nor will I try to find one.  Nonetheless, I have decided to actually start training my mind to take interest in other “realities” of life.  I take a lot of things just for what they are, including their functions. At times, I don’t even know the mechanism of things…all I know is that they serve me and that constitutes their purpose. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that I don’t know about. But, the reality is that everything in this world (be it spiritual or not) has a process. Everything is linked and we could learn a whole lot from this.
In my new job, I have about eight co-workers from different countries. They are very pleasant and so far, it has been a pleasure to find out a bit more about themselves as the days pass. But, one of them has caught my attention because he seems to be a “walking encyclopedia.” His name is George. He is very knowledgeable, hence the name I chose for him.  Every time he approaches me or I ask him a question, he has this vast explanation of WHY things are how he describes them. He is also very good in thoroughly explaining the process of how things come to be. In talking to him this morning, it dawned on me that although many things and happenings in life don’t have an apparent explanation at times, there are others that do…and in understanding this, opens the way for us to adapt and see life from many different lenses. George reminds me of my boyfriend, he is also very knowledgeable and likes to know how things work and likes explaining them. If he does not know something right off hand, he goes in search of an answer until he has one.
I am starting to realize that in order to have the proper positive perspective about life… I have to have at least some sort of idea of HOW things come to be.  How is the coffee we drink in the morning made?  How are we able to breathe fresh air? I can go on and on with questions about things we don’t even wonder about because we have grown accustomed to “not knowing.” No matter how simple or complex these questions get, we will surely learn something if we take the time to just “KNOW.” We know things exist…we know we exist…but, we don’t care about the HOW at times.
Everything in this life goes through a process! Taking interest is these processes can help us take things less for granted.  It will definitely help us view life from a different perspective.  We would be more appreciative of things and most importantly of the people we meet every day.  We don’t have to become Einstein or know every single thing. Some we believe by faith.. But, having broad knowledge helps widen our minds, allowing us to think of many other interesting things instead of focusing always on worry and negativity. Not everything in this world is about us, our worries and problems. We are not the only ones in the universe…we are not the only ones ALIVE…


No comments:

Post a Comment