Friday, October 1, 2010

Time to press the RESET button!

I can only compare this feeling to when anyone gasps for air. Recently, i have had many things on my mind. I am currently finishing my degree in Psychology and this semester has been filled with sooo many writing assignments that have somewhat overwhelmed me. The thing is that these assignments are long and they deal with ethnicity, culture, cultural identity, immigration and anything that revolves around these topics. YES, i sound like i am whining. ;) I have been asked to access my inner database in search of my own experience and feelings regarding these topics. Well, i have officially reached a state of system overload. This is how i felt today...

What i am trying to say is that, at times (many times) we may reach a point when it might be best for us to press the reset button.  During lunch time, i sat in my car, played my favorite instrumental music and closed my eyes for about 15-20 minutes. I practiced a technique my friend Nadia mentioned to me once: when you feel overwhelmed with anxiety, inhale profoundly and exhale slowly - do this about as many times as necessary. BINGO!!! I never thought something so simple could turn out to be so soothing to my soul. I was able to release and concentrate on the action of just breathing. When i opened my eyes, i felt so calm and with a certain amount of peace.

I have realized that although my school assignments are due and still need to be completed, i can STOP and press RESET from time to time. This small practice that took such little time, made a major difference in my thoughts and in turn, aliviated my anxiety.

So...here is to the blessing of being able to STOP and BREATHE. It is totally free and definetely soothing.

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment