Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Emotions...

...so many, so frequent, so LOUD!!!
Yes, it is said:
 "Your emotions are friends who bring news that you need to know." G.Z.


Sometimes it does not matter how much news they are carrying, they just feel overwhelming. What to do with them? Somebody should just develop a manual that teaches us how to react to each and one of the emotions that sneak up on us.
This week i have been overly emotional for EVERY reason! Could be the "timing" but i feel so vulnerable. I try to keep to myself when i am having an OFF day, but today i made the mistake (impulsively) of expressing somewhat of what i felt at the moment and this was the response: "if you have issues, they are yours and You have to deal with them...NOT me!" WOW!!! that felt like a bucket of cold water on a cold winter day.  YES, tears came down my eyes and i realized that even though words sometimes hurt the person receiving them, it doesn't take away the fact that some words hold "truths" we sometimes fail to see and accept.
The thing with emotions is that when they come, they may without a doubt, push us into a "reaction"  and that reaction can in turn have consequences. However, we can decide to give "motion" to our emotions... it is up to us to choose which way to react to them or to even react at all. Yes, at times these emotions seem uncontrollable but they CAN be controlled if we just step back for a minute, take a breather, and give ourselves a BIG BEAR HUG!!!
It might sound easy and it does feel easy as i write it but to have this control over our emotions takes practice. I thought i was doing pretty good at it until today.  I lost perspective and failed to focus of the big picture. My emotions triggered an action on my part and that was the response i got. Sometimes we get more "creative" and "compassionate" responses to our actions...but this time, i got the pure truth. It hurt so much but after i was done being hurt, i accepted the fact that "I have to deal with my issues and not dump them on anyone else and stop blaming someone else for them."
This realization is priceless and i don't regret being in tune with my emotions either. The more i accept myself and embrace my emotions, the more i can deal with them and just let them be!
ps...words do hold power and they do hurt as hell! If placed on the other side of this scenario, I would still go for the truth uttered more creatively and with compassion. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for the date on this post and couldn't find it. There is a great way of witnessing emotions. It's called meditation. It is the most helpful thing I have found in witnessing and letting go of painful emotions and observing ourselves before we react. I highly recommend a 10-day meditation course. But it is not easy. Here's the link www.dhamma.org. No cost for these 10 days courses, they are run on donations. I used to be highly reactive before I started meditating. I've released a lot over the years through meditation. A lot of heavy baggage. Hope you are doing well and I'm also following your other blogs as well. Peace to you, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy...
    i fixed the date setting! Thank you for pointing that out...i hadn't noticed.
    i will get in touch with you in regards to the 10-day meditation course. I have been intrigued!
    ;)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete